Home Forums
07 | 29 | 2021
We have 2036 guests and 1 member online
JoomlaNook Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Captions breaking expansion problem discovered
(0 viewing) 
Highslide JS Plugin
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Captions breaking expansion problem discovered
marnes
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Captions breaking expansion problem discovered 10 Years, 8 Months ago  
Well looks like I found the mysterious cause that was preventing my Highslide install to function properly. It has to do with using the ' character when using Highslide Expander 1.5.0 to edit captions in the options : Caption text section.

When I used my caption: We've made it so crystals have a dancing flickering light source that casts dynamic shadows in real-time. This gives a very eerie lighting setup which we think is quite cool! We're calling this the campfire effect.

Then it breaks after updating it. I click on the image and the expansion just opens the image in a fresh page without animation.

To fix it, I have to prepend the quotes with backslashes: We\'ve made it so crystals have a dancing flickering light source that casts dynamic shadows in real-time. This gives a very eerie lighting setup which we think is quite cool! We\'re calling this the campfire effect.

Then it works. However the kicker is, if I later edit the popup again, it strips out backslashes and even if I don't touch the caption text, once I update it again, it breaks because it becomes the first example again. And the annoying bit is that once broken, when you attempt to edit it again, because it's invalid, it just nukes the entire caption and it has a blank slate that you have to type in all over again (but blank captions work)... so it's a pretty sneaky bug.

I think the best way to fix this would be to process the caption (and probably heading text too) to catch this special character and insert the backslashes where appropriate. I hope you agree

To see the live slide in question (which works right now)... go to www.harvestcircuit.com, select "Art Gallery" in the top menu, then scroll down to the 2nd article called Game Screenshots. It's the first image in that gallery, the purple one.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/11/17 11:25 By marnes.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
klowther
Admin
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male JoomlaNook Location: Fremont, NE USA Birthday: 07/23
Re:Captions breaking expansion problem discovered 10 Years, 8 Months ago  
Hi,

Yes, this is a shortcoming of the caption text and heading text fields on the options tab.

As a workaround, you can use the caption and heading tabs instead. Just assign a unique id to the caption and enter your text in the caption text area (see image). Remember to remove the text in the caption text field on the options tab.

- Ken

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/11/17 12:23 By klowther. Reason: clarity
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top